Ouch! I Made the Biggest Kitchen Remodeling Mistake
You have spent thousands on your kitchen only to realize that a remodel is not something you should have done. Don’t worry. You are not the only one who has this issue. There are plenty of potential mistakes that you can make with kitchen remodeling, and if you are not careful or you do not take note of them, you will be making them over and over.
Just to make sure that you do not end up spending more or are left frustrated in the end, here are the top kitchen remodeling mistakes to avoid:
1. You are overspending and overimproving. You can get so excited for your kitchen remodeling project that you have completely forgotten about setting up a budget for it. You will be surprised to discover that you have already spent hundreds to thousands of dollars, when you can actually complete the project at half the cost.
There are also others who tend to overimprove. They make use of sophisticated kitchen equipment and completely change the design of the floors and cabinets. Unless you love to cook and would be spending a lot of time there, or you are a chef whipping up new recipes for your work or business, these modifications are completely unnecessary. If you can avoid them, you can save a lot more.
2. You take on a design you really do not like. Just because it appears in a home magazine or you saw it on the Internet and people were raving about it does not mean that a particular kitchen design is the right one for you. It all boils down to function and a design that you like. If you are not really comfortable with the kitchen design, there is a huge chance that you will not be spending any time here, which then throws away your investment on your kitchen.
3. There is an unnecessary addition. Do not ever think that an island is always mandatory in a kitchen. It should be added only if you have enough space in your home. If not, you can make use of your counter to prepare your ingredients for the meal. You must not add kitchen cabinets unless there are really no more spaces available for your ever-growing groceries or kitchen tools.
4. You found the wrong kitchen contractor. This could be the costliest mistake that you will ever make. You are flushing hundreds to thousands of dollars immediately. Worse, you may have to redo everything, which means additional expenses on your end. That is why you need to be cautious in choosing your remodeling contractor. He must have the license to do so and the insurance. Moreover, he should be experienced enough to provide you with samples of his work as well as references.
5. You don’t have a budget. If you’re wealthy enough to not have to worry about your expenses, then a budget is the least of your worries. But since most home owners are average income earners, you should have one. You can ask for quotes from the kitchen remodeler.